Div 2: Killinkere 1-14 Munterconnaught 1-12

Three injury time points from Brian Clarke rescued a victory for Killinkere, in a keenly fought division 2 clash with Munterconnaught on Sunday last. Played in perfect conditions, a late Shane Reilly point seemed to have all but assured The Munchies a win, but for the injury time endeavours of the home side’s evergreen full forward.

It was the visitors who got off to the best start, with Stephen Sheridan pointing in the first minute to open the scoring. Indeed Munterconnaught could have had an early goal, but a good stop from Killinkere’s goalkeeper Sean McGovern, parrying a Daniel Nolan shot. Further points from Sean Nolan, and another from Sheridan, extended their lead to 3 points. It took until the seventh minute for Killinkere to get off the mark, when Brian Clarke converted a free, following a surging run from wing half-back Liam McCabe. The score seemed to settle the home side, and the chances soon started to flow as they began to come to grips around the middle of the park. A great run from the effervescent youngster Peter McCabe almost resulted in goal, only for the corner forward to see his shot go narrowly wide. Not perturbed by his miss, McCabe slotted over a minute later to reduce the deficit to one point.

A point from Shane Reilly in the 13th minute reasserted Munterconnaught’s 2 point advantage. However, merely a minute later they found themselves down a point, when Killinkere’s Darren Smith coolly slotted home a penalty, following a foul on Paul Kerr. The Gang Green Nation immediately furthered their lead, with a point from midfielder Kevin McCabe, having secured possession of the kick out. Messrs McCabe and Smith then combined to extend Killinkere’s lead to three, before Thomas Brady pointed in the 19th minute,  to bring Munterconnaught back into the game. Points from Brian Cullen and Sean Nolan, were cancelled out by a Brian Clarke free, and an excellent left footed point from Emmett Fitzsimons to give Killinkere a 1-7 to 0-7 lead at the interval.

Immediately after the restart Sean Nolan came within inches of levelling the match when his shot rattled the crossbar, after an excellent solo run from 50 yards out. Darren Smith pointed in the 32nd minute to further Killinkere’s advantage, but again the visitors came close to finding the onion bag, only for the joint efforts of the McGovern brothers, Noel and Sean, in blocking a goal ward bound shot from Shane Reilly. Despite their goal chances, it was Killinkere who were making it count on the scoreboard, with another free from Clarke extending their lead. John McCabe, returning from injury, was introduced for Munterconnaught midway through the half, with immediate effect as he pointed to reduce their arrears to 3 points, following a score from Sean Nolan

Michael Duff was a constant threat for Killinkere, and a point a in the 47th minute was just reward for the wing half-back’s probing runs. However, points from Shane Reilly and Stephen Sheridan left the visitors a mere 2 points behind. Substitute Damien Sexton stretched Killinkere’s advantage, but enter Munterconnaught half-back Thomas Brady with a magnificent goal to tie the match, and with only four minutes of normal time remaining. Shane Reilly then struck from all of 50 yards to score what looked like the winning point for The Munchies.

The last word would go to Brian Clarke however, with two pointed frees, the second foul resulting in a second yellow card for Niall McHugo followed by an excellent score from play from Clarke ensuring victory for Killinkere. Both teams could be pleased with their performance, but Munterconnaught will no doubt be upset at the manner of their late defeat.

Teams and scorers:

Killinkere: S. McGovern, M. Reilly, N. McGovern, O. Sharkey, M. Duff (0-1), G. Denning, L. McCabe, D. Smith (1-2), K. McCabe (0-1), A. Brady, E. Fitzsimons (0-1), B. Clarke (0-6 (2f)), P. McCabe (0-1). Subs used: D. Sexton (0-1), T. Cooney, B. Smith

Munterconnaught: T. Bough, J. Hetherton, N. McHugo, P. Cullen, T. Brady (1-1), B. O’Shea, P. O’Dwyer, T. McCabe, M. Finnegan, S. Nolan (0-3(1f)), S. O’Reilly (0-3(1f)), D. Nolan, D. Carroll, S. Sheridan (0-3), B. Cullen (0-1) Subs used: S. Keoghan, O. Healy J. McCabe (0-1)


About killinkeregfc

Founded in 1929, we are a GAA club nestled in the South East of Cavan.

Posted on April 16, 2012, in Home, Seniors. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: